With the growing number of therapy dogs, it’s no wonder that dog ownership is good for you. If you’re still not convinced about the benefits of owning a dog, here are my top 4 reasons why you should consider sharing your life with a four-legged bundle of joy:
1. Dogs can help you to maintain a work-life balance. Our family dog is a Labrador Retriever called Pippa who makes sure I get some fresh air every day.
“She helps me to maintain a balanced approach to life, mainly because she requires a walk every day. Also when things aren’t going so well, she’s a great listener and loves to cuddle me until I feel better.”
Pippa and I were recently interviewed by children’s author, Cristy Burne. Read the interview here.
2. You could find your perfect match in a dog. Watch wildlife carer and lime farmer, Anne-Marie’s video on finding Andy (warning: this may make you laugh).
3. Australian author, Kate Murdoch recently blogged about her dog (warning: this may make you cry).
‘On frost-laden mornings she greets him and lets him out. He hears the honey in her voice and knows he is loved.’
4. Dogs are good for your health. The Guardian reports that a Swedish study has found canine ownership can result in less heart disease.
Still looking for reasons to consider adopting a dog? Why not check out these great doggy reads:
- Snoopy by Charles M Schulz
- Red Dog by Louis de Bernieres
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon
- Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World’s Worst Dog by John Grogan
And while you’re at it, visit your local dog refuge. Mine is Shenton Park Dog’s Home.